An argument that has been going on for decades: Cloth or disposable diapers? Cloth diapers are traditionally considered safer and more affordable especially since we can use these over 2 or more babies (passing on baby hand-me- downs is an age old tradition in Indian households). However with more and more women joining the workforce. In brief, we will give you the pros and cons of both the diapers and present you with a solution.
The idea of cloth diapers is ancestral. All around the globe, beginning from birth, cloth diapers have been extensively used until the completion of potty training. While they are considered to be eco-friendly, less expensive, and chemical-free, there are some drawbacks.
The Inconvenient Truth
The cloth diapers demand washing. A lot of washing leads to greater laundry time, which in turn leads to higher electricity bills and water usage. That means more release of detergent chemicals into the drain. These diapers become cumbersome to change and wash and you need a 'stash' to make them work full time.
Cloth diapers can also cause diaper rash as they don’t absorb moisture the way disposables do. Since most cloth diaper brands discourage the use of rash creams as it makes the microfiber inserts less absorbent, the baby must endure the pain and irritation. We don’t want that now, do we?
Cloth diapers are expensive. Those cute prints on the bum costs anywhere between Rs900-Rs2000 , and you need to invest in a few , whether they work or not is a different story.
Cloth diapers use microfiber. This fabric is unsuitable for the Indian hard water and hand washing practices. Over time, the fabric attracts salts and collects detergents from the water making the diaper less absorbent and practically useless. The care that the fabric needs in stripping, boiling , soaking, etc. just adds to the additional work cloth diapers bring.
Cloth diapers are generally the one-size-fit-all which cause it to have a lot of fabric around the baby's legs. These make them bulky and more uncomfortable for the baby.
Overall cloth is great to break the cycle of chemical exposure on the baby, but its not as healthy as it is touted to be. And not to mention the expense of owning a "stash"!
The Disposable Diaper Story
Whilst cloth has its own issues, there is another side to the disposables...They are convenient when compared to cloth diapers. Traveling is made easier with them as they are definitely more absorbent than the cloth diapers. However, these come with a price tag!
Not only are they expensive, but they are harmful to your baby. Disposable diapers use synthetic materials and ingredients such as perfumes, dyes, latex, chlorine, and bleach to look the way they look. So what, you ask? The effects of artificial products in the diapers can cause irreversible damage to the growth of your baby. Why risk it when you have another option?
Further, they can damage the environment for 100s of years. Around 70% of a disposable diaper is made of paper that comes from the trees and the rest 30% is often a petroleum product which is a nonrenewable resource. These diapers account for 3.4 million tons of landfill waste yearly and take centuries to decompose.
Besides all these issues, there are the additives like artificial fragrances and dyes ( used to bleach the diaper to add those cute characters on them ) that cause latent harm to the baby's gentle skin in the form of allergies and rashes.
There is always an option to use "chemical Free" or "biodegradable diapers" , but those are very expensive, and not easy to find in stores.
So, is there a solution to the diaper war?
It turns out, Hybrid cloth diapers are the healthy middle ground. They are cloth covers with breathable waterproof pouches that hold the washable or disposable nappy pads. Most of the time , hybrid cloth diaper inserts are made from plant cellulose and are dioxin, fragrance, dye-free, and of course, disposable.
The covers are sized to fit and do not need a daily wash. The waterproof pouches can hold a washable or disposable insert . The diaper covers are trim and economical making these the most affordable diaper solution available.
Hybrid Diapers ensure minimum washing and maximum protection. They provide the comfort and breathability of cloth and the convenience of disposables. These diapers help reduce waste (you don’t have to change the covers, only the disposable nappy pads), they help break the cycle of exposure to toxic chemicals and they are affordable as you can use a washable or disposable insert in these.
It is really as simple as it sounds! In India, Bdiapers is the only trusted brand with a Hybrid diapering solution. They come in different sizes as it is vital for your baby to have the right fit. It avoids leaks and irritation keeping the munchkin happy throughout the day. Bdiapers are now delivering to your home by following all the safety measures.
Healthy, trendy, and sustainable. Bingo!